If you are struggling in the July heat
I make a point never to complain about hot weather in the UK. EVER.
For those who may be struggling to stay positive, here are 10 of my reasons why the heatwave is a Wonderful Thing:
- The faint but indelible feeling of bein... n Holiday!
- It takes about one minute to get dressed in the mornings. T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops. Job Done. (More time in bed).
- The butter is soft-soft. Easier to spread on bread. Less gets used. Healthier!
- The chink of cutlery across the garden fence... our neighbours exist! They are happy sun-seekers just like you!
- EATING OUTSIDE, even at night, without the need of a fleece and thick socks. (Socks might be required against the midges, but I prefer Off! - fine so long as one remembers to wash one's hands before dipping into the crisps/nuts/dips accompanying the pre-prandial drink.
- Prosecco. The evening heat demands it. (With snacks. See above).
- Flowers at dusk (ie 9pm), velvet and vibrant after absorbing the belting heat of the afternoon.
- The weather pundits can still be gloriously WRONG. Back in early June I seem to recall a prediction of wet summers for THIRTY YEARS.
- Summer berries all taste as they are supposed to, even supermarket ones: sweet and full of sun. I am eating several kilos a week. (Healthy!)
- It's only JULY! By the time the heatwave breaks many of us will still have our 'real' summer holidays to look forward to.
(Mine's a week in Spain. I hope it doesn't rain).